GDP growth expected at 7pc, deficit at 5.9pc for next fiscal year
展覽名稱：Myanmar Argotech Foodtech
The Myanmar economy is expected to grow by 7pc next year. Zarni Phyo/The Myanmar Times
Myanmar expects its economy to grow by 7 percent as measured by GDP for the upcoming 2019-20 fiscal year compared to the 7.6pc expected for fiscal 2018-19.
According to the budget estimate submitted by the Union government to the Pyidaungsu Hluttaw on July 15, it expects total revenue of K25.3 trillion and total expenditure of K32.3 trillion, which will mean a 5.9pc deficit to GDP. The rate of the kyat to the US dollar was set at 1,525 compared to the current fiscal year’s 1,360.
Commenting on the deficit, a member of the parliamentary Joint Public Accounts Committee, U Sai Thiha Kyaw, said there should not be too much worry over the deficit because, as in previous years, delayed implementation of projects has led to less expenditure than what was budgeted. This was also noted in a mid-year report for the 2018-19 fiscal year, which observed that many projects have not met their deadlines and recommended full use of the allocated amounts.
“In previous years, the deficit always managed not to exceed 5pc as they can’t spend as expected. Therefore, despite budget increased for this year, we will have to wait and see whether the actual spending meet the estimated amount or not,” he said.
Meanwhile, other Hluttaw members of parliament also said they expect changes to the budget to be made after the various Hluttaw committees conduct their inspections and discussions on allocations and appropriations.
For the upcoming fiscal year, the Ministry of Planning and Finance and, the Ministry of Transport and Communications are expected to have a surplus. The Ministry of Planning and Finance, with 22pc of the budget allocation, is expected to have K9.6 trillion revenue and K7.3 trillion expenditure, with the surplus coming from state-owned banks. The Ministry of Transport and Communications, with 5.2pc of the allocation, is expected to have total revenue of K1.8 trillion against K1.7 billion expenditure.
The Ministry of Defence’s budget allocation will be the lowest in six years for the 2019-20 fiscal year as just over 10.5pc has been set aside at K3.4 trillion with revenue of K47 billion.
U Sai Thiha Kyaw noted that the defence allocation has not been cut, instead, the Union expenditure has significantly increased overall while defence spending has only seen a gradual increase.
“There are no cuts to the defence allocation, in fact the allocation has been increased, just that the overall expenditures have risen much faster compared to the military spending,” he told The Myanmar Times. In fact, defence spending will use K123 billion more than estimated for the current fiscal year.
The Ministry of Electricity and Energy, which eats up a quarter of total expenditure in the coming year, will still show a deficit in spending as spending is estimated at K8.1 trillion while the revenue is K7.4 trillion.
It is unclear if the increase in the electricity tariff rates will have an impact on the deficit spending since the budget was drafted in March/April.
The Ministry of Education, which has 8.4pc allocation from the budget, will also show a deficit as spending has been estimated at K2.711 trillion compared to revenue of K215 billion. The Ministry of Construction, with 4pc of the budget, estimates a deficit of K461 billion while the Ministry of Health and Sports, with 3.7pc of the allocation, estimates it will use more than K1.2 trillion.
For next year’s general election, the Union Election Commission is estimated to spend K70 billion. – Translated
- 【大會聲明】我司並無舉辦三月份之咖啡展 台灣國際咖啡展 / 2019-12-26
- 複合式主題館【時尚角落】徵件活動開跑~ TIBS 台北國際烘焙暨設備展 / 2019-12-20
- 烘焙月滿額抽-得獎名單 TIBS 台北國際烘焙暨設備展 / 2019-03-19
- 烘迷們注意！首波好康釋放，限量贈票！(已索票完畢) TIBS 台北國際烘焙暨設備展 / 2019-01-21
- 春季最幸福的呷胖行動【烘焙月‧滿額抽】開跑囉！ TIBS 台北國際烘焙暨設備展 / 2019-02-12
- 【歡慶連假】第二波好康釋放，限量贈票！ TIBS 台北國際烘焙暨設備展 / 2019-02-27
- 3/15專業參觀日，憑索票完成之QRcode可入場！ TIBS 台北國際烘焙暨設備展 / 2019-03-12
- TCRC 獲獎咖啡豆紀念禮盒 特別聲明 台灣國際咖啡展 / 2019-12-05
- IPF 2020 – The Best Gateway to Enter Bangladesh Market, will be back from Feb. 12-15 at ICCB IPF / 2019-12-03
- 開展倒計時 ⏰ 最後免費索票機會❗ 展昭寵物用品展 - 12高寵獨霸場 / 2019-11-29
- MTG -齐聚全球知名品牌，满足纺织与制衣产业全方位需求 紡織展 - MTG / 2019-11-02
- MTG 2019 - Day 3 highlights 紡織展 - MTG / 2019-11-03
- MTG 2019 - Day 2 highlights 紡織展 - MTG / 2019-11-02
- [MTG 2019] Grand Opening 紡織展 - MTG / 2019-11-01
- MTG 2019 - The last moving day 紡織展 - MTG / 2019-10-31
- MTG 2019 Press Conference 紡織展 - MTG / 2019-10-21
- 「機器視覺與系統專區」，搶攻檢測設備供應鏈 Touch Taiwan 智慧顯示展覽會 / 2019-11-13
- 11/15咖啡展！AIT首屆【夏威夷咖啡論壇】登場 台灣國際咖啡展 / 2019-11-13
- 「智慧生活與顯示應用暨大型顯示看板與解決方案專區」，跨領域應用整合，推動產業升級 Touch Taiwan 智慧顯示展覽會 / 2019-11-13
- 【2019 Taiwan Coffee Month】跑館號召令-得獎名單 台灣國際咖啡展 / 2019-11-13