Vice president urges co-ops to get more involved in manufacturing
2019-07-10 10:31:27 / Myanmar Agro Food Exhibition
A small brick manufacturing operation near Yangon. Photo - EPA
Vice President U Henry Van Thio has urged cooperatives to participate more in manufacturing as they are a major driving force in the nation’s development.
“I urge more involvement and participation by cooperative societies in agriculture, livestock and manufacturing,” he said at an event marking International Cooperative Day in Nay Pyi Taw on Saturday.
Cooperatives started in Myanmar in 1905 with a savings and loan association in Myinmu township, Sagaing Region, that focused mainly on loans. But they branched out during the term of the previous government to include agriculture support.
He urged the associations to support farmers with their services.
“Seed producing cooperatives and agricultural cooperatives are also urged to extend sales of farm implements to meet farmers’ needs and to assist in any way possible along the supply chain of value-added crop production,” he added.
Although cooperatives only provided financial services before, now they also sell agricultural machinery. “Cooperatives were able to provide 8470 tractors of less than 50 horsepower, including mini cultivators, 5541 tractors that have from 50 to 90 horsepower, and 500 harvesting machines,” said U Aung Thu, minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation. They also support agricultural mechanisation and the production of high-yield seeds, he added.
Cooperatives loaned K213.24 billion to members across the country. Myanmar’s over 40,000 cooperatives have more than 4.42 million members and say they have created jobs for more than 250,000 people. – Translated
- Exhibition guidelines for health and safety Chan Chao / 2020-05-29 13:43:25
- [Important] Overseas trade shows update Chan Chao / 2020-05-27 11:56:29
- [Important] Region Exhibition Updates Chan Chao / 2020-05-13 14:26:44
- 2020 Taipei Int’l Industrial Automation Exhibition_Application Form Taipei Int'l Industrial Automation Exhibition / 2020-04-21 17:23:13
- 《Postpone Announcement》DTG will be postponed to 28th~31st January 2021 Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2020-04-20 15:31:29
- 《Postpone Announcement》IPF will be postponed to 20th ~ 23rd January 2021 Bangladesh Int'l PLASTICS, PRINTING & PACKAGING Industry Fair / 2020-04-20 15:30:25
- Postponing notification of Taipei International Bakery Show Taipei Int'l Bakery Show / 2020-04-16 13:18:57
- TTG 2020 – Taiwan International Textile & Garment Machinery Exhibition 《Postpone Announcement》 Taiwan Int'l Textile & Garment Machinery Exhibition / 2020-03-20 15:30:55
- 【2020 CHANCHAO TAIPEI PETS SHOW】 will be held on schedule, any changes will be updated. Taipei Pets Show / 2020-03-20 10:10:17
- Postponing notification of Assistive Technology for Life Assistive Technology for Life / 2020-03-04 10:32:51
- IPF 2020 – The Best Gateway to Enter Bangladesh Market, will be back from Feb. 12-15 at ICCB Bangladesh Int'l PLASTICS, PRINTING & PACKAGING Industry Fair / 2019-12-03 13:54:10
- MTG -齐聚全球知名品牌，满足纺织与制衣产业全方位需求 MTG / 2019-11-18 15:11:26
- MTG 2019 - Day 3 highlights MTG / 2019-11-18 15:07:15
- MTG 2019 - Day 2 highlights MTG / 2019-11-18 15:02:32
- [MTG 2019] Grand Opening MTG / 2019-11-18 14:47:44
- MTG 2019 - The last moving day MTG / 2019-11-18 14:36:42
- MTG 2019 Press Conference MTG / 2019-11-18 13:17:44
- 【! Press Conference Highlights !】 Myanmar Agro Food Exhibition / 2019-11-13 13:54:16
- 【! Press Conference Highlights !】 Myanmar PPP / 2019-11-13 13:52:40
- Myanmar PlasPrintPack Agrotek Foodtek -Day 3 Highlights Myanmar Agro Food Exhibition / 2019-11-13 13:45:19