Vice president urges co-ops to get more involved in manufacturing
Expo: Myanmar Agro Food Exhibition
A small brick manufacturing operation near Yangon. Photo - EPA
Vice President U Henry Van Thio has urged cooperatives to participate more in manufacturing as they are a major driving force in the nation’s development.
“I urge more involvement and participation by cooperative societies in agriculture, livestock and manufacturing,” he said at an event marking International Cooperative Day in Nay Pyi Taw on Saturday.
Cooperatives started in Myanmar in 1905 with a savings and loan association in Myinmu township, Sagaing Region, that focused mainly on loans. But they branched out during the term of the previous government to include agriculture support.
He urged the associations to support farmers with their services.
“Seed producing cooperatives and agricultural cooperatives are also urged to extend sales of farm implements to meet farmers’ needs and to assist in any way possible along the supply chain of value-added crop production,” he added.
Although cooperatives only provided financial services before, now they also sell agricultural machinery. “Cooperatives were able to provide 8470 tractors of less than 50 horsepower, including mini cultivators, 5541 tractors that have from 50 to 90 horsepower, and 500 harvesting machines,” said U Aung Thu, minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation. They also support agricultural mechanisation and the production of high-yield seeds, he added.
Cooperatives loaned K213.24 billion to members across the country. Myanmar’s over 40,000 cooperatives have more than 4.42 million members and say they have created jobs for more than 250,000 people. – Translated
- 2019 Sourcing Fair Smart Manufacturing & Monitech Taiwan / 2019-07-04
- Postponement of SMARTBUILD Expo Myanmar Myanmar Building Material, Hardware & Tool Exhibition / 2019-07-01
- 2019 TAIROS International Forum -[5G x Smart manufacturing Forum] Taiwan Automation Intelligence and Robot Show / 2019-06-27
- Pre-register, Visit and Win Apple NOW!!! VIETNAMWOOD / 2019-06-25
- 【Join Us】TDUA Golf Tournament Display International / 2019-06-19
- 【Join Us】TDUA Golf Tournament Smart Manufacturing & Monitech Taiwan / 2019-06-19
- Overseas Buyer Delegations Subsidy Program VIETNAMWOOD / 2019-05-15
- VietnamWood Promotional Video is out now!! VIETNAMWOOD / 2019-05-14
- Supporting Message from Minister of Industry & Handicraft CIMIF / 2019-05-10
- Supporting Message from Minister of Industry & Handicraft CTG / 2019-05-10
- New industrial zone proposed northwest of Yangon MTG / 2019-05-08
- Bonded warehouse programme set to provide boost to Myanmar industries MTG / 2019-05-03
- 2019 Brand-new 【Opto Semiconductor Thematic Pavilion】Join Us Now! Display International / 2019-04-15
- Myanmar urged to tap potential of 2035 ‘demographic dividend’ MTG / 2019-04-09
- 2019 Foreign Buyer Incentive Program is now officially online! Smart Manufacturing & Monitech Taiwan / 2019-04-03
- 2019 Foreign Buyer Incentive Program is now officially online! Display International / 2019-04-03
- Hanoi Plas Print Pack Returns with Significant Scale Expansion Hanoi PPP / 2019-04-01
- 柬埔寨2018年成衣與鞋類出口額近百億美元 CTG / 2019-04-01
- Updated National Export Strategy to add new sectors, address constraints MTG / 2019-03-29
- UAE keen to invest in Bangladesh: envoy Bangladesh Int'l PLASTICS, PRINTING & PACKAGING Industry Fair / 2019-03-25