As plastic sector booms, Vietnamese firms are easy prey
Expo: Vietnam Plas (HCM)
Major Vietnamese plastics firms are being taken over in a big way by foreign firms from Thailand, Japan and South Korea.
In April, Thai business conglomerate Siam Cement Group (SCG) acquired over 50 percent of shares in Binh Minh Plastics (BMP), a big player in Vietnam’s plastics industry. Previously, SCG had already poured in $121 million to acquire seven other Vietnamese plastics firms, according to local media reports.
Japan is also gearing up to conquer Vietnam’s plastics sector. Japan-based Sekisui Chemical has become a strategic partner in Tien Phong Plastics, acquiring 25 percent of the company’s shares last year, and Japan’s Meiwa Pax Group has paid $16.5 million to buy HCMC-based packaging firm Sapaco.
South Korea firms have also jumped into the fray, with packaging firm Dongwon Systems acquiring over 97 percent of Tan Tien Plastics in 2016. Tan Tien is a frontrunner in Vietnam’s packaging industry, and a major partner for several big companies operating in Vietnam, such as Unilever, Ajinomoto, Trung Nguyen or Vinamilk.
Vietnam has become a ripe destination for foreign firms because the plastics industry has been booming. For the last 3 years, it has grown by 15-17 percent each year.
In 2016, Vietnam housed over 2,000 firms in the country. The annual per capita consumption of plastics in Vietnam is around 41 kilograms, according to Vietnamese securities firm Vietcombank Securities. That number is projected to increase to 45 kilograms per person in 2020, according to the Vietnam Plastics Association.
“Vietnam’s plastics sector has great potential to grow,” said Kubo Hajime, a management board member of Sekisui Chemicals.
Vietnam’s cheap labor and material costs is also an advantage, economist Dinh The Hien told local media. He said the fact that Vietnam is part of several trade agreements, most notably the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership, helps.
Vietnamese plastics firms lack the necessary capital, technology and high-skilled labor required to compete in an increasingly tougher market, said Ho Duc Lam, President of Vietnam Plastics Association.
“Another problem for Vietnamese plastics firms would be high production costs, which leads to high prices,” he said.
Vietnam needs to focus more on targeting the right customers with the right products to compete, an unnamed representative of a Vietnamese plastics firm said.
“We would also need to invest more in technology and machinery to upgrade our assembly chains, thus increase our product quality and reduce production costs,” he said.
Last year, the plastic sector recorded an export value of over $3 billion, a year-on-year increase of 17.6 percent.
Read more: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/as-plastic-sector-booms-vietnamese-firms-are-easy-prey-3758024.html
- Happy Chinese New Year! Display International / 2019-01-30
- 2019 Automotive Display & IVI System Thematic Pavilion! Now Accepting Applications! Display International / 2019-01-23
- Asian Biotechnology Conference BIO ASIA to be held in Taiwan for the first time BioTaiwan Exhibition / 2019-01-16
- 2019 Vacuum Technology Thematic Pavilion, Now Accepting Application! Display International / 2019-01-10
- DTG 2019 Opening Ceremony Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2019-01-09
- Free Shuttle Bus Service Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2019-01-08
- DTG Press Conference has been hold at BTMA this morning. Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2019-01-07
- IPF 2019 Press Release Bangladesh Int'l PLASTICS, PRINTING & PACKAGING Industry Fair / 2019-01-01
- Largest Ever DTG Exhibition to Open at New Venue ICCB. Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2018-12-19
- 2019 Commercial Display & Digital Signage Thematic Pavilion! Now Accepting Applications! Display International / 2018-12-14
- 仰光举行第七届国际纺织暨制衣机械展（视频） MTG / 2018-12-09
- Build Your Team with Global Players Here MTG / 2018-12-08
- Influential Leaders Kickoff the Annual Ceremony MTG / 2018-12-06
- Plan Your Visit to Brand New Venue MTG / 2018-12-05
- VTG 2018- the Most Integrated Platform Maximum Your Visiting Experience in Once VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-11-20
- VFM- Launching Edition of Footwear Machinery Boost with United Platforms VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-11-19
- The 8th Asian Tour of Global No.1 Dye-Chemical Show- Interdye Asia Grand open on 21st November 2018 VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-11-17
- MTG2018 --Pre-Launching Ceremony MTG / 2018-11-02
- The 4 in 1 Myanmar Int'l Manufacturing Industry Fairs, one-stop-purchasing platform for total solution Myanmar MachTool / 2018-11-01
- The Leading Star of Textile & Garment Industry in Growing Age. MTG / 2018-11-01