Chinese investors eye garment sector
Chinese entrepreneurs have discussed with Yangon Region Investment Committee on the expansion of garment industry in industrial zones in Yangon, said Myo Khaing Oo, joint-secretary of Yangon Region Investment Committee.
Aung Htoo, deputy minister for Commerce said: “Currently, Myanmar’s textile industry is rapidly growing. Imports of garment by the EU and Asian countries become high.
Entrepreneurs from Japan, China, South Korea and Taiwan have opened joint-venture garment factories in the country. Now the number of garment factories has reached more than 400. In 2016, the garment sector created 350,000 jobs. Female workers represent 90 per cent of the total workforce.
Tun Tun, the central executive of Myanmar Garment Entrepreneurs Association said In November, 2017: “The garment industry has long been practicing Cut-Make-Pack (CMP) system for over 20 years. But it is not in a position to shift from the CMP system to the FOB system due to lack of infrastructure, transparency in banking system, information and investment power.”
In 2017-2018 FY, export earnings from CMP garment sector hit US$ 2.58 billion. It is one of the top export items, according to the Commerce Ministry.
Japan and European countries have placed most garment orders from Myanmar.
Source From: ElevenMyanmar
- Safer trucks handed over for garment workers CTG / 2018-05-23
- Tien Giang to improve business climate, attract investment VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-05-21
- ATLife visitor pre-registration is now open ! ATLife / 2018-05-18
- Garments become second largest foreign currency earner VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-05-15
- BGMEA president demands special trains to Ctg Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2018-05-15
- Taiwan Digital Signage Awards 2018 Display International / 2018-05-12
- Gold Panel Awards 2018 Display International / 2018-05-12
- CPTPP likely to increase garment exports to Australia. VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-05-10
- Vietnam post $3.1bn trade surplus in Jan-Apr VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-05-09
- EU, U.S. reluctant to remove trade preferences for Cambodia garments: Fitch's BMI CTG / 2018-05-09
- Wood exports to hit record high VIETNAMWOOD / 2018-05-09
- Bangladesh takes over global denim markets Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2018-05-09
- Myanmar Timber Enterprise targets higher sales, commercial restructuring Myanmar Wood / 2018-05-08
- Myanmar and South Korea to increase trade and investment Myanmar Wood / 2018-04-30
- Future bright for VN’s woodworking industry VIETNAMWOOD / 2018-04-27
- Bangladesh still popular for low-cost apparel Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2018-04-27
- A close look at the garment industry with GMAC’s John Cha CTG / 2018-04-27
- UNDP project to reduce textile emissions in Vietnam VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-04-27
- Online Registration Open! ATLife / 2018-04-25
- Myanmar takes another step to join EU-led forest protection agreement Myanmar Wood / 2018-04-19