Bangladesh still popular for low-cost apparel
Expo: Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition
Bangladesh is still a lucrative destination for sourcing low-cost garment items, coming second to only China, according to the Global Sourcing Survey-2018 by the AsiaInspection, which provides inspection services to global brands.
“Outside of China, India and Bangladesh are increasingly given preferences for textile sourcing due to being lower-cost destinations,” said the report on the survey conducted by AI in December last year.
Top officials of more than 250 companies working in all major consumer product segments were interviewed for the survey.
Of the total respondents, 16 percent said Bangladesh is their destination of choice for sourcing textile and garment products.
China though remains in the lead: it is a regular sourcing destination for nearly 88 percent of the respondents and half of the businesses expect to buy even more from there in 2018.
“The work order situation is positive now,” said Asif Zahir, director of Ananta Group, a leading garment exporter.
Thanks to the rebound of economic situation in Europe and the US, the retailers and brands are placing work orders in bulk in Bangladesh.
At the same time, Bangladesh's reputation has also improved due to inspection and remediation of the garment factories by the Accord and Alliance.
However, buyers do not want to pay higher prices, although the cost of production will go up further with wage hike, port congestion and higher transportation cost.
“Of course, Bangladesh is a lucrative destination for the global garment buyers,” said Anwar-ul Alam Chowdhury Parvez, a former president of the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association. Bangladesh is a favoured destination not only for the competitive price and quality, but also for technical upgrades and improved safety after the inspection and remediation.
After a journey of nearly four decades, the country's production base is gradually shifting to high-end apparel items from basic products.
Of the total garment exports from Bangladesh in a year, 40 percent are high-end value-added garment items, he said.
“Previously the focus was on basic items but now we are looking at value-added items,” he added. In the footwear segment, 21 percent of the survey respondents said they will source from Bangladesh.
Some 36 percent respondents said they will source food items from Bangladesh, while 15 percent will buy electrical and electronics products from here, the survey said.
Among the top challenges in sourcing in 2017, the cost of manufacturing and raw materials comes first -- a trend expected to continue into 2018.
Politics is expected to have a more immediate impact than technology: most of the surveyed businesses anticipate to be affected by tariffs, quotas, protectionism and embargos, rather than automation and 3D printing.
Vietnam is a notable competitor for China in footwear, chosen by 50 percent of respondents, the single most popular choice of any industry outside of China, the study said. In cross industry average, 14 percent of the respondents preferred Bangladesh as their sourcing destination.
Source From: The Daily Star
- Happy Chinese New Year! Display International / 2019-01-30
- 2019 Automotive Display & IVI System Thematic Pavilion! Now Accepting Applications! Display International / 2019-01-23
- Asian Biotechnology Conference BIO ASIA to be held in Taiwan for the first time BioTaiwan Exhibition / 2019-01-16
- 2019 Vacuum Technology Thematic Pavilion, Now Accepting Application! Display International / 2019-01-10
- IPF 2019 Press Release Bangladesh Int'l PLASTICS, PRINTING & PACKAGING Industry Fair / 2019-01-01
- 2019 Commercial Display & Digital Signage Thematic Pavilion! Now Accepting Applications! Display International / 2018-12-14
- 仰光举行第七届国际纺织暨制衣机械展（视频） MTG / 2018-12-09
- Build Your Team with Global Players Here MTG / 2018-12-08
- Influential Leaders Kickoff the Annual Ceremony MTG / 2018-12-06
- Plan Your Visit to Brand New Venue MTG / 2018-12-05
- VTG 2018- the Most Integrated Platform Maximum Your Visiting Experience in Once VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-11-20
- VFM- Launching Edition of Footwear Machinery Boost with United Platforms VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-11-19
- The 8th Asian Tour of Global No.1 Dye-Chemical Show- Interdye Asia Grand open on 21st November 2018 VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-11-17
- MTG2018 --Pre-Launching Ceremony MTG / 2018-11-02
- The 4 in 1 Myanmar Int'l Manufacturing Industry Fairs, one-stop-purchasing platform for total solution Myanmar MachTool / 2018-11-01
- The Leading Star of Textile & Garment Industry in Growing Age. MTG / 2018-11-01
- ATTENTION !!! Beware of FRAUD Emails !!! BioTaiwan Exhibition / 2018-10-22
- Micro/Mini LED Product and Solution, Join us for 2019 Display International / 2018-10-07
- CHƯƠNG TRÌNH HỘI THẢO - THỰC TRẠNG RÁC THẢI NHỰA VÀ ĐẦU TƯ XỬ LÝ CHẤT THẢI NHỰA Ở VIỆT NAM Vietnam Plas (HCM) / 2018-09-28
- Press Conference: VFM- Launching Edition of Footwear Machinery Industry VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-09-26