Myanmar Timber Enterprise targets higher sales, commercial restructuring
Expo: Myanmar Wood
State-owned Myanmar Timber Enterprise (MTE) is targeting sales of 5,000 tonnes of teak and 100,000 tonnes of hard wood during the six-month period between April and October this year. The sales are expected to generate K63 billion in revenues, MTE deputy general manager U Khin Maung Kyi told The Myanmar Times.
Sales will be conducted both locally and internationally to cover MTE’s commitments to the government, which includes 20 percent of its revenues as well as taxes of 25 pc. “Our department has to provide about K 15 billion. Then 25pc tax is about K 19 billion,” said U Khin Maung Kyi.
“We also have to cover costs like salaries and other operational expenditure,” he added. In total, MTE’s costs have been estimated at around K86 billion.
In Myanmar, state-owned enterprises (SOEs) must pay 20pc of their revenues to the State and a 25pc tax on net income has to be paid to the State, too, said Daw Nwe Nwe Win, Director General from Budget Department.
In 2017-18, MTE generated income of over K 100 billion from domestic sales and about $115 million from foreign sales, he said.
For profit model
As MTE is among the SOEs that make the most revenue for the nation; discussions are underway for the organisation to operate under a commercial model instead. “Preparations are being carried out to restructure MTE and a law will also be drafted,” said U Khin Maung Kyi.
One company which was successfully restructured from SOE to a for-profit model and garnered success is the Myanmar National Airway (MNA). “We’re expecting to go the MNA way. But, in order to do this, a law must be promulgated. A law related to MTE has to be drafted,” he said.
After the ministry approves of the departmental restructure, a law will be drafted and later submitted to parliament approval.
There are plans to decrease forestry production, growing own forest plantations; there are also plans to switch and reorganise the state-owned Myanmar Timber Enterprise into the Myanmar Forestry Enterprise, said Union Minister of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Conservation, U Ohn Win, told state media in April.
Source From: Myanmar Times
- Micro/Mini LED Product and Solution, Join us for 2019 Display International / 2018-10-07
- CHƯƠNG TRÌNH HỘI THẢO - THỰC TRẠNG RÁC THẢI NHỰA VÀ ĐẦU TƯ XỬ LÝ CHẤT THẢI NHỰA Ở VIỆT NAM Vietnam Plas (HCM) / 2018-09-28
- Vietnam’s textile and garment industry faces tough seas in 2019 VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-09-20
- Renewable energy law in the works to speed up development Myanmar MachTool / 2018-09-19
- Lucky Draw! Prize Winner Released! Taiwan Int'l Textile & Garment Machinery Exhibition / 2018-09-18
- Bangladesh hits record 7.86% GDP growth Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2018-09-18
- Sustainable pricing is crucial for our apparel industry Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2018-09-17
- FTAs promise bright prospects for Vietnam’s garment-textile VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-09-17
- Apparel benefitting from US-China trade war Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2018-09-16
- FaceBook Live Broadcast for Introducing TTG by Taiwanese Artiest 馬妞! Taiwan Int'l Textile & Garment Machinery Exhibition / 2018-09-15
- 2018 TTG Once Every Four Years Ceremony You Shouldn’t Miss Taiwan Int'l Textile & Garment Machinery Exhibition / 2018-09-14
- 2018 TTG Grand Opening Day Taiwan Int'l Textile & Garment Machinery Exhibition / 2018-09-13
- Industry 4.0 can catalyze ASEAN development: Vietnam PM VIETNAMWOOD / 2018-09-11
- Garment, textile exports likely to exceed US$1b plan VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-09-10
- Apparel pushes up exports to US Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2018-09-09
- Vietnamese firms look to establish foothold in Mexican market VIETNAMWOOD / 2018-09-08
- Vietnam competes with China to become top garment exporter in South Korea VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-09-07
- UMFCCI and IFC to cooperate on food safety Myanmar Agro Food Exhibition / 2018-09-07
- Myanmar to manufacture electric buses Myanmar MachTool / 2018-09-07
- Plastic goods exports see spurt on back of policy support Bangladesh Int'l PLASTICS, PRINTING & PACKAGING Industry Fair / 2018-09-07