This Spanish Biotech Might Have the First Effective Treatment for a Rare Blood Condition
Expo: BioTaiwan Exhibition
Sanifit has successfully completed a Phase II trial with what could be the first effective treatment for calciphylaxis, a deadly rare disease caused by calcium accumulation in the blood. Mallorca-based Sanifit is targeting calciphylaxis with its treatment called SNF472. Results from Sanifit’s Phase II trial show that the drug promotes wound healing and reduces pain, though the details won’t be released until later this year. With these encouraging results, Sanifit hopes to start a Phase III trial after ongoing discussions with the FDA and EMA.
Calciphylaxis is a rare condition characterized by calcification, or the aggregation of calcium, in a patient’s blood vessels and the development of thrombosis. This can lead to the death of cells in a patient’s skin and fatty tissues and ultimately have lethal consequences. alciphylaxis affects around 4% of patients in the late stage of chronic kidney disease. 55%of patients with calciphylaxis die within a year of being diagnosed and suffer from painful skin ulcers and a high risk of infection. There is currently no effective treatment for calciphylaxis and its causes are unknown, however, its occurrence is associated with hyperthyroidism.
Sanifit’s SFN472 is a a first-in-class drug that prevents calcification by binding to the growing sites of HAP crystals, a mineral form of calcium, in a patient’s arteries. As Joan Perelló, CEO and co-founder of Sanifit, told Clara “We basically manage calcium in the body. We want it to go where it should go, which is to the bones and teeth.”
SFN472’s unique mechanism differs from commonly used approaches for treating calciphylaxis, such as calcimimetics and phosphate binders, which prevent calcium formation in blood vessels. Unlike these approaches, Sanifit’s targets the calcium directly, which it expects will result in greater efficacy and faster symptom reduction.
Back in 2015, Sanifit established itself as a leader in Spain’s biotech ecosystem by raising €36.6M in Series C funding to develop SFN472. Although the amount is not that high compared to other European biotechs, it is nonetheless an important step for Spanish biotechs, who have faced difficulties in attracting international investors. Along with the Phase II results, this places Sanifit in a unique position, as there appears to be an absence of competitors in this niche of the dialysis market.
- labiotech Alexander Burik -
- Vietnamese overseas investment exceeds 187 million USD Vietnam HCM Pack Print Food / 2018-06-21
- Vietnamese overseas investment exceeds 187 million USD Hanoi PPP / 2018-06-21
- Plastics recycling needs policy overhaul Vietnam Plas (HCM) / 2018-06-21
- Toyo Ink to start production in Myanmar Myanmar PPP / 2018-06-21
- Need to scale up waste collection rates revealed as Coca-Cola pushes recycling Myanmar Agro Food Exhibition / 2018-06-21
- Bangladesh wants German technology for industrial growth: Amu Bangladesh Int'l PLASTICS, PRINTING & PACKAGING Industry Fair / 2018-06-21
- Better PR, infrastructure needed to woo more Korean investors MTG / 2018-06-21
- Wood exports continue expanding in first months of 2018 VIETNAMWOOD / 2018-06-21
- Chinese manufacturers eye Myanmar base as trade war escalates Myanmar Wood / 2018-06-21
- PM calls for study on fears of US-China trade conflict CTG / 2018-06-20
- Taking health to the RMG workers Dhaka Int'l Textile& Apparel Accessories Exhibition / 2018-06-20
- Garment-textile sector seeks to optimise opportunities from CPTPP VTG - Vietnam Int'l Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition / 2018-06-18
- Opportunities for Vietnam to boost timber exports to Australia VIETNAMWOOD / 2018-06-17
- China’s BRI bringing unity to the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation – what does this mean for Myanmar? MTG / 2018-06-16
- Japan to provide $1.8b for six Bangladesh mega projects Bangladesh Int'l PLASTICS, PRINTING & PACKAGING Industry Fair / 2018-06-15
- GAP system encouraged for export in Myanmar Myanmar Agro Food Exhibition / 2018-06-15
- Processing, manufacturing industry attractive for foreign investors Vietnam HCM Pack Print Food / 2018-06-15
- Myanmar Insight’ in Thailand to boost bilateral economic ties Myanmar PPP / 2018-06-15
- Thai, Japanese, South Korean investors buy Vietnamese plastics companies Vietnam Plas (HCM) / 2018-06-15
- Processing, manufacturing industry attractive for foreign investors Hanoi PPP / 2018-06-15