This Spanish Biotech Might Have the First Effective Treatment for a Rare Blood Condition
Sanifit has successfully completed a Phase II trial with what could be the first effective treatment for calciphylaxis, a deadly rare disease caused by calcium accumulation in the blood. Mallorca-based Sanifit is targeting calciphylaxis with its treatment called SNF472. Results from Sanifit’s Phase II trial show that the drug promotes wound healing and reduces pain, though the details won’t be released until later this year. With these encouraging results, Sanifit hopes to start a Phase III trial after ongoing discussions with the FDA and EMA.
Calciphylaxis is a rare condition characterized by calcification, or the aggregation of calcium, in a patient’s blood vessels and the development of thrombosis. This can lead to the death of cells in a patient’s skin and fatty tissues and ultimately have lethal consequences. alciphylaxis affects around 4% of patients in the late stage of chronic kidney disease. 55%of patients with calciphylaxis die within a year of being diagnosed and suffer from painful skin ulcers and a high risk of infection. There is currently no effective treatment for calciphylaxis and its causes are unknown, however, its occurrence is associated with hyperthyroidism.
Sanifit’s SFN472 is a a first-in-class drug that prevents calcification by binding to the growing sites of HAP crystals, a mineral form of calcium, in a patient’s arteries. As Joan Perelló, CEO and co-founder of Sanifit, told Clara “We basically manage calcium in the body. We want it to go where it should go, which is to the bones and teeth.”
SFN472’s unique mechanism differs from commonly used approaches for treating calciphylaxis, such as calcimimetics and phosphate binders, which prevent calcium formation in blood vessels. Unlike these approaches, Sanifit’s targets the calcium directly, which it expects will result in greater efficacy and faster symptom reduction.
Back in 2015, Sanifit established itself as a leader in Spain’s biotech ecosystem by raising €36.6M in Series C funding to develop SFN472. Although the amount is not that high compared to other European biotechs, it is nonetheless an important step for Spanish biotechs, who have faced difficulties in attracting international investors. Along with the Phase II results, this places Sanifit in a unique position, as there appears to be an absence of competitors in this niche of the dialysis market.
- labiotech Alexander Burik -
- Bangladesh, Vietnam to raise trade to $2 bln Bangladesh Int'l PLASTICS, PRINTING & PACKAGING Industry Fair / 2018-03-09
- Bangladesh, Vietnam to raise trade to $2 bln Vietnam Plas (HCM) / 2018-03-09
- Bangladesh, Vietnam to raise trade to $2 bln Vietnam HCM Pack Print Food / 2018-03-09
- Bangladesh, Vietnam to raise trade to $2 bln Hanoi PPP / 2018-03-09
- Tangible ideas Myanmar Wood / 2018-03-09
- Myanmar and Japan to hold the third Joint Economic Conference: Participation of Keidanren Myanmar PPP / 2018-03-09
- Myanmar and Japan to hold the third Joint Economic Conference: Participation of Keidanren Myanmar Agro Food Exhibition / 2018-03-09
- 2018 to be good year for wood products export VIETNAMWOOD / 2018-03-09
- Yangon furniture zone in the works Myanmar Wood / 2018-03-06
- Japan to fund four new local projects CIMIF / 2018-03-06
- Myanmar plans to grow home furnishings sector Myanmar Wood / 2018-03-05
- Cosmetics market to grow by 25% to $20 billion by 2025 Taipei Int'l Healthcare & Medical Cosmetology Expo / 2018-03-05
- Be part of the greatest International Baking and Equipment exhibition in Taipei this year Taipei Int'l Bakery Show / 2018-03-02
- Japan to increase investments in Myanmar and boost trade: JCCM and UMFCCI agreement Myanmar PPP / 2018-03-02
- Japan to increase investments in Myanmar and boost trade: JCCM and UMFCCI agreement Myanmar Agro Food Exhibition / 2018-03-02
- City Bread Championship, Oscar of the East, highlighted with distinguished professionals from 8 countries Taipei Int'l Bakery Show / 2018-03-01
- President Tran Dai Quang’s Bangladesh visit aims for 1 billion USD trade Vietnam Plas (HCM) / 2018-03-01
- President Tran Dai Quang’s Bangladesh visit aims for 1 billion USD trade Vietnam HCM Pack Print Food / 2018-03-01
- President Tran Dai Quang’s Bangladesh visit aims for 1 billion USD trade Hanoi PPP / 2018-03-01
- President Tran Dai Quang’s Bangladesh visit aims for 1 billion USD trade Bangladesh Int'l PLASTICS, PRINTING & PACKAGING Industry Fair / 2018-03-01