Myanmar urged to tap potential of 2035 ‘demographic dividend’
News Type: Expo News
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) has urged the government to take advantage of the “demographic dividend” to ensure the development of the country, noting that in less than 20 years, 67 percent of its population will be of working age.
The UN agency said that only 33pc of people will be categorised as dependents by 2035.
“So that’s a significant turning point for Myanmar,” Ramanathan Balakrishnan, UNFPA’s representative for Myanmar, said.
He added that Myanmar is at the threshold of a demographic dividend, which could be used to significantly boost the economic growth of the country.
The agency said that Myanmar needs to invest in the quality and wider access of education, health and jobs in order to profit from the dividend.
Source From：The Myanmar Times
Related Link：Click Here
- MTG 2019 - Day 3 highlights 2019-11-03
- MTG -齐聚全球知名品牌，满足纺织与制衣产业全方位需求 2019-11-02
- MTG 2019 - Day 2 highlights 2019-11-02
- [MTG 2019] Grand Opening 2019-11-01
- MTG 2019 - The last moving day 2019-10-31
- MTG 2019 Press Conference 2019-10-21
- New industrial zone proposed northwest of Yangon 2019-05-08
- Bonded warehouse programme set to provide boost to Myanmar industries 2019-05-03